Wednesday, May 19, 2010

For A More Polite Life


Bahasa Inggeris, sebagaimana yang lazimnya dipertuturkan dewasa ini di bumi yang mana di suatu ketika dahulu penduduknya terkenal dengan sopan santun serta halus budi bahasanya. Kiranya bukan penjajah yang memperkenalkan bahasa sebegini rupa....


WHEN GIVING A CUSTOMER BAD NEWS

Britons: I'm sorry, sir, but we don't seem to have the sweater you want in your size, but if you give me a moment, I can call the other outlets for you.

Malaysians (?): No stock.

RETURNING A CALL

Britons: Hello, this is John Smith. Did anyone call for me a few moments ago?

Malaysians (?): Hello, who call?

ASKING SOMEONE TO MAKE WAY

Britons: Excuse me, I would like to get by. Would you please make way?

Malaysians (?): S-kew me.

WHEN ASKING FOR PERMISSION

Britons: Excuse me, but do you think it would be possible for me to enter through this door?

Malaysians (?): (pointing at the door) Can ah?

WHEN ENTERTAINING

Britons: Please make yourself right at home.

Malaysians (?): No need shy shy one lah!

WHEN DOUBTING SOMEONE

Britons: I don't recall you giving me the money.

Malaysians (?): Where got?

WHEN DECLINING AN OFFER

Britons: I would prefer not to do that, if you don't mind...

Malaysians (?): Don't want lah.

WHEN ASKING SOMEONE TO LOWER THEIR VOICE.

Britons: Excuse me, but could you please lower your voice? I'm trying to concentrate over here.

Malaysians (?): Shut up lah!

WHEN ASSESSING A TIGHT SITUATION.

Britons: We seem to be in a bit of a predicament at the moment..

Malaysians (?): Die lah!!

WHEN SOMEONE DID SOMETHING WRONG

Britons: This isn't the way to do it. Here, let me show you.

Malaysians (?): Like that also don't know how to do!

WHEN ONE IS ANGRY

Britons: Would you mind not disturbing me?

Malaysians (?): Cilaka Lu!

Is it simple, short, concise, straight-to-the-point, effective etc.
or is it simply the need to live
FOR A MORE POLITE LIFE?
(http://gakcity.com)
Related Posts with Thumbnails